Dont have an account?Sign up here
We know that energy bills are a big worry for Britain's consumers – and something we, like you, are working hard to address.
As the UK's leading supplier of energy efficiency measures, we also know the huge difference energy efficiency can make to cutting bills and keeping Britain's homes warm.
This website aims to give you facts and figures about British Gas, our investment programme and our work on areas such as the Green Deal.
The tabs to the right will give you more information on:
- What Makes Up The Average Energy Bill: Out of a £100 dual fuel bill, £85 goes to buy the energy, deliver it to homes, and to cover taxes and Government obligations . British Gas controls just 15% of the average bill. Our residential post-tax margins have averaged just 5% for the past five years.
- Prices: UK energy prices actually compare well within Europe. The average price of both electricity and gas is less than in eleven European countries including Germany, Italy and Spain. However, the cost of replacing up to one third of the UK's generating capacity with low-carbon supply, combined with the fact that wholesale gas prices are rising, means that energy prices are likely to rise.
- Support for Vulnerable Customers: British Gas is proud to support our vulnerable customers, going above and beyond our government obligations. Over the past three years (2009-2011) we have spent £500m helping our most vulnerable customers – more than any organisation in Britain bar the Government. Please click through to find out which schemes are available for you or groups you support.
- Energy Made Simple: British Gas is determined to help customers find the best deal for them. Find out how we are enabling customers to understand their energy use and its price, from introducing a simple single unit rate tariff through to a radical new bill, de-cluttered and jargon free.
- Energy Efficiency and the Green Deal: British Gas has trialled the Government's new Green Deal, which goes lives this Winter. Read about some of our findings by clicking to the right.
- Investment: Between 2007 and 2011, the Centrica Group invested £9bn across its UK businesses. The tab to the right will explain the Group's investment in renewables, nuclear and sourcing more gas.
Please find more information on each of these areas on the links to the right of this page.
All the data used comes from independent sources, including UK Government (Department for Energy and Climate Change), the energy regulator (OFGEM) and the Office for National Statistics, and has been verified by Ernst & Young LLP.
Please contact Katherine.Mercer@Centrica.com for further information or for a meeting – we would be delighted to discuss any of these issues in more depth.